Sunday, 6 August 2017

Pet Peeves - Reading, Writing and Editing

Hello again.

Pet Peeves was the theme for Alex's latest blog hop in August, and although I didn't use it at the time, it interested me very much.

Reading? I have begun to follow writer  Stephen King's advice given in his brilliant book, 'On Writing', one of the best books on the subject I've ever come across. In it, he says that he reads every day, even including Christmas Day. I don't think I'd go as far as that, but he is right when he says that it is only by reading other writer's that our own ability improves. I think of myself of a lapsed reader, having spent my teens and twenties glued to a book, I am busy trying to catch up.

Writing? Again Stephen King is correct when he says that unless we write daily, when we return to our work it is stale and we've lost the momentum. Yes, we know this, but how many writers ignore this fact of our writing lives to our cost?

And finally, Editing? If you can't afford a living, breathing editor of some ability, then the next best thing is the app. Pro Writing Aid. I'm sure many writers would recommend other programmes, but this works for me, wouldn't be without it, and it fits neatly into any Word file you have created. Now to put my own advice, or mostly Stephen King's excellent advice into practice!